Monday, May 14, 2007

Pinhole Photography - Part II

I did an initial post a couple weeks back regarding my recent diversion with pinhole photography. I'm proud to say I've made quite a bit of progress in learning how to build the cameras, what to look for as far as subject and exposure, and how to get decent results out the darkroom. I completed the setup of my darkroom, and it is functional, although I'm still having a hard time finding a tape with strong enough adhesive to keep the black sheet hanging from the ceiling inside the door of the room. I am currently using HVAC tape used on aluminum duct work and furnaces. I returned home after the weekend to find it had fallen again. It's funny that sometimes the most simple tasks of a project are the most vexing!

Regarding the final photos, I love the antique and rudimentary look of them, as well as the extreme wide-angle that that adds drama to otherwise unremarkable landscapes.

I unexpectedly spent the weekend in Rocky Mountain National Park with a photographer friend. Before I left, I loaded up two of my home-made candy-tin cameras with photo paper, and packed them in my truck. Knowing that I only had two pinhole exposures for the weekend, I selected time and setting carefully. I have not yet picked up a Changing Bag for the changing out the light-sensitive paper in the cameras, so for this trip I was limited in the number of exposures, at one per camera. I had to laugh; the instructor for my class said that I don't really need a changing bag - I can just bring along a million cameras!
I took this around 9 am on Sat, under hazy skies with a 360-sec exposure - other than a slight light-leak on the left of this one, I thought it was interesting, and really looks nothing like what I was seeing at the time of the shot.

Taken Sunday at 7am, just as the sun lit up the valley under clear skies - 180 Sec exposure. (Click on images for large)
This is the setup for the previous shot, taken at 24mm. I'm sure it looks hilarious to see me walking around in the wilderness with a Christmas tin in my hands! The tiny white specs at the base of the trees at the far left were a herd of elk grazing in the meadow.

I am attending the Intermediate Pinhole Workshop at
the Center for Fine Art Photography this upcoming Sunday, and am excited to learn even more about Pinhole Photography. You can take a look at the photography of Micheal Butts, instructor of the class. A few of his photos are at http://www.c4fap.org/c4e/c4mbrsearch.asp , and do a search for his name, or "pinhole".

Stay tuned, I'm sure there's more fun to come! I'll also be posting some of my "normal" photos from the RMNP weekend soon...


For more information about my photography or Pinhole Photography in general, contact me at 1-888-4photo2, or send me an email through the link at the top of my blog.

No comments: